Friday, September 3, 2010

Fridays, Feasting With Friends- Featuring Irene Pavlich

"One of the delights of life is eating with friends, second to that is talking about eating. And, for an unsurpassed double whammy, there is talking about eating while you are eating with friends."
~Laurie Colwin 'Home Cooking'

Irene Pavlich

The Fruits of the Spirit 
Galatians 5:22-23
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

While sitting here thinking of natural qualities that Irene possesses, I find myself slowly naming off each "fruit".  It isn't until I get to the sixth one that I realize I am reciting Galatians 5:22-23 in my head.  My "grandma" Irene is so completely full of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control- more then anyone else I have ever known in my life. You will never hear her say a hint of negativity or raise her voice in an angry manner.   She is always rejoicing in the good news of others, she is modest, and carries a quiet sweetness that makes her such a delight to be around.  

Two years ago, I lost Grandma Trapp.  She was my last living grandparent and it was incredibly hard saying goodbye.  But I am so wonderfully blessed to have all of Scott's grandparents around to wrap me in their love and grandma and grandpa-ness!  Irene is Scott's "step-grandmother" but that is only a technicality.  She is 100% grandma, through and through.  You just feel good being near her, and I feel so blessed to be able to call her my Grandma too.  When Jackson was born he started calling her GiGi (great grandma) and the sweetness of the name suits her personality to a  tee.  So for today's Fridays, Feasting with Friends I am overjoyed to introduce you to my wonderful GiGi, Irene Pavlich.  


What is your favorite thing to cook?
Haluski (made with noodles and cabbage)

How about your least favorite thing to cook?
beef- roast or even ground beef burgers

What is your favorite local restaurant and what is one you are dying to try out?
Johnny's is a favorite, someday I would love to try out Overture in downtown Youngstown

Music and food go together so beautifully. You are hosting a dinner party, what would be on your playlist?
Michael Buble with pasta and a marinara sauce

What would you choose to be your last meal on earth?
A good Reuben Sandwich with a ceasar salad

What are you currently reading?
magazines... health info, sports, etc.

What is your favorite Kitchen Gadget?
My toaster oven

Do you have a signature go-to dish?
ethnic-type dishes

What do you love most about the Cleveland area?
family, excellent restaurants and all the specialty stores

Do you have a favorite meal from your childhood and do you cook it today?
My mom made an oven roasted chicken with rice during my younger years, but it is not cooked these days!!

Top 3 Movies of all time?
Dr. Zivago, White Christmas and South Pacific

What was your happiest moment in life?
Too many happy moments in my 78 years to settle with only one!!

Grandma Lois, Gigi (Irene), 
Sandy, me and Jackson- Christmas 2009

Where do you do your grocery shopping?
Giant Eagle, and Marc's

What is your favorite guilty pleasure when it comes to food?
cheesecake, any flavor!!!!

Can you tell me about what you are most proud of?
a perfect end result of a difficult situation or task

One word that best describes you is: interest

Halushki
1 medium cabbage (3 pounds)
1 medium package noodles
4 tablespoons butter
2 strips bacon, optional
chopped onions


Cook noodles and drain. Chop cabbage very fine and fry with the onions in butter, stirring quite frequently until browned. Mix noodles and cabbage and pour about 6 tablespoons melted butter over it.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful recipe, Irene! Thank you for the inspiration. A couple things I want to add to the recipe that I did:
    I fried the bacon and then used about 2 tbsp of the bacon grease and 2 tbsp of butter that I browned, to fry the onions and boiled cabbage in. Then I didn't have regular cabbage so I used napa cabbage which was a tad bit milder but still DELISH! I topped it with melted butter and some sea salt & pepper to taste. Will make again!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails