Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Amazing Coconut Pie

Today was one of those days.  Ugh. I don't know what came over me, but I just felt so blah.  No good reason, just blah. I don't know about you, but enjoying something delicious always seems to help- if even just a tiny bit.  I had picked up a bag of lovely sweetened coconut at the grocery store the last time I was there, and it was calling my name.  On the back of the bag there is this recipe for an Amazing Coconut Pie.  It is incredibly simple, just a handful of ingredients thrown into a blender, topped with coconut and placed in the oven.  A blender?!  Who would've thought!  I don't know about you but I've never used a blender to make a pie before.  I was sold.  Not only was it crazy easy- it was crazy delicious too!

Before
Here is this beauty after sprinkling the coconut on top, just before placing in the oven.   

After
This pie is so lovely.  It is sweet- but not too sweet, with the perfect flavors of custard and coconut.  The cool thing is that the all-purpose baking mix (better known as Bisquick) in the dish helps the pie create its own crust.  


Amazing Coconut Pie
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose baking mix
4 eggs
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 1/3 cups Baker's Angel Flake Coconut (sweetened)


Place milk, sugar, baking mix, eggs, butter and vanilla in blender; cover.  Blend on LOW speed for 3 minutes.  pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate.  Sprinkle with coconut.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until center of pie is set and top is golden brown.  (It took me closer to 50-55 minutes).  Serve warm or cool on a wire rack.  Store leftover pie in refrigerator.

  wanna slice?



*recipe is from the back of the Baker's Angel Flake Coconut bag. 

23 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmm. This one looks soooo good. Save me a slice! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amie this recipe sounds so easy and it looks so decadent. I will have to try it. I think will surprise Rick one day and will have him give you the feedback. He LOVES coconut pie -- well he actually loves all sweets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, i have one with your name all over it! I will drop it off so you can give it a try- goodness knows I shouldn't have this whole pie sitting around this house. Way too dangerous!

    Kathleen, please let me know what you think! If Rick likes coconut he will love this. I have tried it both ways, warm and cold from the fridge. I think I like it cold best. The flavors sort of remind me of a samosa girlscout cookie. Gave me the idea that a drizzle of chocolate would be a great addition......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...wonder what would happen if you omitted the Bisquick and used one of those pre-made Oreo crusts. That might have the makings of delicious all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Smokes! This looks delish! I love COCONUT! I am crazy for it!
    Tera Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very easy to make and tastes great.. this one's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't use pre made boxed crap like bisquick. How can I make this pie truly from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. use a different recipe

      Delete
    2. I agree with you HelenBaq. I NEVER use bisquick. I will try this recipe with flour,a dash of baking powder, a dash of salt, and think it should turn out well. Beautiful picture of the coconut pie!!!

      Delete
    3. http://unsophisticook.com/bisquick-substitute-recipe/

      Delete
  8. I have a question rather than a comment, I'm wondering if I can use a mixer as I don't have a blender.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to this is no. I tried it tonight and got eggy custard. I'm throwing it out. :(

      Delete
  9. Just look online for "impossible pie" recipes - that's what this pie is called. There are a zillion of them in different flavors and some of them use flour instead of Bisquick. Also, yes, you can use a mixer instead of a blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! I was thinking this sounded much like my Impossible Pie recipe - only difference is we don't have Bisquick here in Australia....4 eggs, 1/2 cup plain flour, 1 cup coconut, 2 teas. vanilla, 90 g butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups milk. Blend all in food processor. Grease pie dish and bake at 180 deg C for about 1 hour.

      Delete
    2. I used a mixer and it didn't go well, so I'd caution against it.

      Delete
  10. I have just used flour for the crusts on this type of pie many times and it came out fine. For my next move, I plan to use coconut flour on this recipe for added coconut flavor and goodness. Might swap some coconut oil for some of the butter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this pie but must have done something wrong. It did not make a crust and the filling was a weird consistency. Batter was liquid and I checked the receipe again thinking I had left done something wrong.

    Anyone else have these type of problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a real crusty type of crust. Did you use Bisquick? I baked mine for 55 minutes and came out perfect.

      Delete
  12. This works gluten free, too. Although Bisquick makes a gluten free mix, I couldn't find it. I substituted with the Hodgson Mill Gluten free Pancake & Waffle Mix w/ Flaxseed and it was fantastic. Plus it healthed it up a little bit with the sorghum & brown rice flours and flaxseed in the mix. Dangerously easy!
    Kelbel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this for Father's Day and was a huge hit! Love easy, delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Texture was a little to eggy for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made it today and it was FABULOUS !!!!! Dont change a thing !!!! My husband is still smiling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made it today and it was FABULOUS !!!!! Dont change a thing !!!! My husband is still smiling ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails