Friday, October 28, 2011

Fridays, Feasting With Friends- Featuring Kristian Campana

"One of the delights of life is eating with friends, second to that is talking about eating. And, for an unsurpassed double whammy, there is talking about eating while you are eating with friends." ~Laurie Colwin 'Home Cooking' 

Kristian Campana

Here's the scenerio: the weekend is upon us, the weather looks promising and goodness, wouldn't it be fun to have something FUN to do?!  Well, look no further then Ohio Festivals:Exploring Ohio's Festivals one funnel cake at a time and Adventures of a Trapped 300 Pound Man: Entertaining my inner obesity through food, Ohio festivals and fun! These two blogs are really all you need to find out all that is happening throughout the beautiful state of Ohio.  To say that Kristian loves festivals would seriously be an understatement- He has taken festival hopping to a whole new level!  But wow, does he live a fun life!  Kristian travels all over the state in search of the wackiest, most delicious, and just plain entertaining festivals Ohio has to offer.  Follow along on his journey vicariously or print off the festival schedule, hop in the car and see for yourself- there is a lot of fun waiting to be had!

Oh and be sure to give your congrats to Kristian, he is a newlywed!  Last weekend, he married the love of his life, Julia and they are having the time of their lives celebrating in style on their honeymoon.  Congratulations Kristian!  I am so happy for the two of you!

Also, thank you so, so, so much for your recipe of the Mozzarepas!  Every time I go to New York City I absolutely have to get one of these things at their weekend flea markets.  They are my favorite! Serious Yum! Now I can make them myself here at home- I am super excited!  Yay!

What is your favorite thing to cook?
Medleys of any sort...it could be some concoction where I mix pork, sweet potato and apple. Or it can be an omelet filled with refrigerator leftovers. This also includes pasta sauces consisting of various ingredients (I don't make traditional red sauce) and sushi as well.

How about your least favorite thing to cook?
Fish dishes. And I love fish. But it has to be cooked just right and I get nervous about over/under cooking it.

What is your favorite local restaurant and what is one you are dying to try out?
Favorite - I absolutely love Pacific East. And since it's an hour drive from me, it's always a special treat.
A second restaurant a little closer to home would be India Garden in Lakewood.

To Try: I'd really like to try L'Albatros

Music and food go together so beautifully. You are hosting a dinner party, what would be on your playlist?
Hmm...I'd want nice melodies that didn't get too loud so that we could still talk. I think I'd go with something like Zero 7, Air, Joan as Police Woman, and Cat Power.


What would you choose to be your last meal on earth?
A fine assortment of sushi, baked scallops topped with a steamed egg custard I used to get in Columbus, raw oysters, and maybe some coconut shrimp.

For dessert, I'd be happy with a snoogle and a corner piece of cake from Kiedrowski's bakery (Amherst). Maybe even a well-frosted sugar cookie.

What are you currently reading?
Lately, I've just been reading food blogs and astrological websites. I've been getting pretty good at reading charts and figuring present aspects. Maybe I'll pick up a side job.

What is your favorite Kitchen Gadget?
Although I don't use it too often, I love the double boiler for making custards and ice cream. It has saved me a lot of unnecessary stress.

Do you have a signature go-to dish?
I make green bean salads a lot in the summertime. I'll pickle thinly sliced cucumbers before adding them for extra flavor.

I also make sushi or mozzarepas (corn pancake sandwiches filled with melted cheese) for pot lucks or parties.

What is your favorite thing about the Cleveland area?
Its history of immigration. It affects our restaurants, grocery stores and supplies tons of great ethnic festivals. It helped make me who I am.

Do you have a favorite meal from your childhood and do you cook it today?
There's a scalloped potato and ham casserole that I absolutely loved. I haven't thought about it in a long time, but it really sounds good now and it's easy to make.

Top 3 Movies of all time?
Matrix
Amelie
Tampopo

From left to right: Getting ready for the meatball eating contest at the Dean Martin Festival, Pawpaw Contest judge photo with the giant pawpaw, and the Dublin Irish Festival

What was your happiest moment in life?
There are actually a few moments that stand out:
1.) making a wish at a Japanese temple to find my soulmate
2.) learning that, before he died, a college professor got to read my letter and loved it
3.) driving down Route 2 during a fall overcast day and realizing that things were going to be OK
4.) Getting my first reply from the tons of letters I sent to Italy to find family - it changed my life forever.
5.) being with my girlfriend and family at my 100th festival last year and really feeling like I accomplished something
6.) learning that my wish in 1.) came true

I guess I'm just a happy guy!

Where do you do your grocery shopping?
I'm all over the place. Overall, I go to Giant Eagle, but I'll try to go to Marc's for cheaper produce and certain groceries and maybe Heinen's for fish and some things. If I can make it to some local farm market, then that's even better.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure when it comes to food?
I'm such a sucker for potato chips. I can't even keep them in the house.

Can you tell me about what you are most proud of?
Reconnecting my family's Italian heritage, the entire Ohio Festivals Project and the children's book I wrote and illustrated.

Do you have Culinary Resolutions that you would like to accomplish this year?
I think I would like to make grape ice cream (not sorbet). I had some in Geneva once at their Grape Festival and it was like a grape creamsicle. I loved it.

One word that best describes you is:
Effervescent
the newlyweds! 

And now can you please share one of your favorite recipes? 


Mozzarepas (or Arepas with Mozzerella cheese)
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup freshly boiled corn on the cob (2 cobs)
1 1/4 finely ground yellow corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Mozzarella or Provolone (sliced)

After boiling 2 cobs, use knife to cut corn off and then grind in blender. You should have a nice pulp. Mix the yellow cornmeal (pass through coffee grinder to make finer if necessary), flour, sugar, salt and shredded mozzarella and mix well.  Add the corn pulp to the mixture and stir to combine well.

Bring milk to a boil as you add the butter (be careful not to burn milk).

Make a well of the mixture in the bowl and gradually add the hot milk mixture while mixing.

Get to a good pancake batter consistency. If you end up not needing to add the rest of the milk, so be it. If it's too thick, then add more milk.

Heat a lightly buttered griddle or pan and spoon batter to make small pancakes. Flip when golden brown.

you can add the cheese once it flips and then add the second pancake when done. Or you can just cook them all, make sandwiches with the cheese and nuke them in the microwave to melt the cheese.

28 comments:

  1. Just one quick clarification - put dry ingredients in bowl and add corn pulp to the bowl to mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adjusted the recipe for you, Kristian! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. computernerd01 baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe, defiantly the right weather to be eating Porridge! http://www.dailymotion.com/bubblegumcasting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks intended for publishing this details. I just Online Yacon tablet want to inform you about i always merely look into your website along with I still find it extremely interesting along with educational. I am unable to hold out you just read a great deal of your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can Get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect. Keep up the good work you are doing here. http://www.mcoin.co.id/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very useful post, I was looking for this info. thanks for sharing the great ideas...
    schifffonds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the regularly one particular subject material. Beautiful articles or reviews, thank you to suit downloading and sharing an article content with all of us.
    partytent huren vlaardingen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was worth visiting your blog and I have bookmarked your blog. Hope to visit again
    partytent

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
    verhuisbedrijf houten

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are skillful and deserve to praise as a results of your work. I used to be longing for one thing like this and that I found it quiet attention-grabbing web site and located your site awfully nice.

    Visit : Online High School Diploma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Overall, I go to Giant Eagle, but I'll try to go to Marc's for cheaper produce and certain groceries and maybe Heinen's for fish and some things. If I can make it to some local farm market, then that's even better. design solutions magazine subscription

    ReplyDelete
  14. This continually is amazing to me how bloggers such as yourself can find the time and also the dedication to keep on creating fantastic blog posts. This is wonderful and one of my have to read on the web. I simply want to say thanks
    Pre Marriage Courses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
    verhuisbedrijf hilversum

    ReplyDelete
  16. I make green bean salads a lot in the summertime. I'll pickle thinly sliced cucumbers before adding them for extra flavor. latin dance classes in connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post,i really like to visit here,Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty nice post I simply stumbled upon your website and wished to mention that I've actually enjoyed browsing your website posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff of your blog. A must read!!!!
    nocturnal panic attacks melatonin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge. Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up! voyance pas cher

    ReplyDelete
  22. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..
    http://icupertino.org/buy-real-instagram-followers/

    ReplyDelete

  23. Thanks for sharing this Post, Keep Updating such topics.
    Rummy Circle
    Rummy Circle

    ReplyDelete
  24. The most amazing thing in your blog is the information and the knowledge which you have and the style, the way you present your blog is also very eye-catching most of the readers just came only because of this reason. So thank you for this informative and innovative post and do share more.
    Fashion Forecasting

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever! Best of luckThe Top 5 Tips for Business and Personal Success

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails