Sunday, March 28, 2010

Millie's Whole Wheat Challah

In the 3 1/2 months that I have been weekly baking bread from scratch, this has become our all time favorite recipe.  It is super moist, slices wonderfully for sandwiches,  and makes delicious toast.  I have done it as white and whole wheat and we love it both ways equally.  Since whole wheat is better for us, I have been doing that more often.  If you want to substitute the whole wheat for white bread, all you do is use all white flour!  Simple as pie. Or, ermm bread....

Millie's Whole Wheat Challah

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey (I have also used maple syrup when I was out of honey and it worked wonderfully!)
2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup water
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Place all ingredients in the machine, program for Bread, Basic White Bread, Whole Wheat, Basic Wheat Whole Wheat/Multigrain, White/Whole Grain, or Wheat and press Start or On.  You can bake this in the machine for a high, domed loaf or do it by hand in the traditional braid.  


Out of convenience I always just let it bake in the bread machine, but one of these times I will finish it in the oven so it looks pretty all braided up.  But it always raises to nicely I just haven't bothered yet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails