Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Honey-Crunch Muffins

Guess what, I have a huge surprise- I'm in the mood for muffins.  Again.  Goodness, this pregnancy is going to be the (carb) death of me!  Oh well, I may as well enjoy it while I can.... OK, onto the yummy muffin!  Today I wanted to make one that wasn't overpowering of sweetness, or glitz.  I wanted one that would be lovely drizzled with a bit of honey, slathered in jam, or even as a nice accompaniment to a nice creamy bowl of soup.


This muffin is just that.  It works great as a sweet breakfast item, but would also be perfect served alongside your dinner.  They are super light and fluffy, puff up beautifully and have a subtle sweetness that isn't at all overpowering.  I somehow forgot to add the cornflakes as a topping to the muffins today- over excited about the yummy goodness I guess.  But that didn't take away from the flavor at all.  They just didn't have as much "crunch"as usual.  I like them both ways.


Print this Recipe

Honey-Crunch Muffins
makes 12-14 muffins

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup crumbled cornflakes, plus extra for the "crunch" topping
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup honey
1 cup milk

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  Lightly grease or line with paper baking cups.

In a large bowl, blend together the flour, cornflakes, baking powder and salt.  In a medium bowl beat the egg, butter, honey and milk until smooth.  Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are just moistened.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 of the way full.   Top with additional crushed cornflakes.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5-7 minutes.  Serve warm of invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. These look so good! I wonder if there's another cereal or crunchiness I can substitute. I'm out of corn flakes, but I have Special K oats and honey. That might work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out soooo delicious! I did use the Special K Oats & Honey, which gave it just a little extra sweetness. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica that is a great idea! i am definitely going to try them this way next time. I bet you could use just about any cereal, but with the oats and honey that would add a nice extra crunch too. I am glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails