Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To Die For Blueberry Muffins

So if the Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffin is the "Good Girl" in school, this one is definitely the "Naughty One".  It has absolutely the very best "Muffin Top" you will ever have; extra crunchy, sweet, and full of blueberry flavor.  As you can tell I am still on my muffin kick, and today I wanted to try one with a streusel topping but again using up more of the homegrown blueberries I had in my fridge.  I did the healthy thing, now it was time for something a little more naughty.  


The batter on these muffins is wonderfully thick, helping the blueberries hold in place while baking (instead of dropping to the bottom like some recipes).  Now, this recipe only makes 6-9 large sized muffins, but makes enough streusel topping for double that.  So after mixing my first batch, I decided to double the recipe and make enough muffins for all that wonderful streusel- I couldn't possibly waste it!  Filling my tins all the way to the top, I got exactly 18 muffins.  
After baking, please allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes inside the tins before attempting to remove.  Using a butter knife, gently separate the muffins from the tins (especially where the blueberries oozed), lightly tip the tins to their side and using the knife ease the muffins out of the tins.  

Check out all those blueberries!

The streusel topping is very heavy once it bakes, and of course I wayyyyy overloaded each muffin with the topping thinking more is better.  Flavor-wise- amazing.  But I do realize that next time I will use slightly less, making it easier to remove from the pans and helping to ensure that the topping doesn't fall off after baking.  A "Muffin Top" completely fell off of one of my muffins while removing from the pan- OH NO!  I will just have to taste this one to make sure it is delicious enough.  

It was.  Every. Last. Bite.  



To Die For Blueberry Muffins
Recipe courtesy allrecipes.com
Makes 6-9 Large Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.  I only had to bake mine for 17 minutes, so keep an eye on them.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails