Friday, February 11, 2011

Fridays, Feasting With Friends- Featuring Paul Rados

"One of the delights of life is eating with friends, second to that is talking about eating. And, for an unsurpassed double whammy, there is talking about eating while you are eating with friends."
~Laurie Colwin 'Home Cooking'

Paul Rados

For today's Friday's, Feasting with Friends I want to introduce you to a fellow foodie and blogger Paul Rados.  I first met Paul online through his blog.  I am friends with his girlfriend Lindsay and she suggested I check it out, being a food blogger myself.  I was instantly hooked. He has a fun style to his writing that makes him so great to read.  Not only does Paul blog at Paul Rados: Chef, Writer, Student..., but he is also a contributing writer for yahoo and other online media.  If you pop on over to his blog you can see all of the articles he has contributed (there are links to each one) some great recipes, and just musings about food and life in general.  Its a great addition to your Reader!  When you add in a job as a full time chef here in Cleveland, and also working toward his Dietary Manager Certification- he is one busy boy!  Thanks a lot Paul for taking the time to write for me today, and I am crazy excited about trying out your recipe- wow does it sound amazing!

What is your favorite thing to cook?
Ever since I cooked at the now defunct Bar Symon and learned how simple his famous goat cheese mac & cheese is to prepare I now enjoy various adaptations on this classic American dish. I sometimes do bacon and rosemary, sometimes chorizo with a mixture of cheeses. There is just so much you can do.

How about your least favorite thing to cook?
While I can do it, I absolutely hate cooking fish. I do enjoy eating it, especially deep-fried, on a bun, with tartar sauce!

What is your favorite local restaurant and what is one you are dying to try out?
Hands down my favorite restaurant in Cleveland is Greenhouse Tavern on E. 4th. Chef Sawyer and crew do an outstanding job. As for one I am dying to try… One Red Door in Hudson, although I am not sure when I am going to make it out that way.

Music and food go together so beautifully. You are hosting a dinner party, what would be on your playlist?
I suppose the music would really depend on the menu. That’s a tough call.

What would you choose to be your last meal on earth?
I know it sounds odd but I would choose a bologna sandwich. It was one of the only things I ate when I was a kid. I would like to reflect on memories of my childhood if I knew my time was coming to an end.

What are you currently reading?
I am just finishing up Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower.

What is your favorite Kitchen Gadget?
I have an unhealthy love affair with my Kitchen Aid mixer. I tend to give Lindsay dirty looks when she asks if she can use it. 9.5 times out of 10 I relent, but am watching her closely.

Do you have a signature go-to dish?
I can whip up a mean puttanesca in a pinch.

What is your favorite thing about the Cleveland area?
I love the fact Cleveland really is a foodie town without all the hype NYC, CHI, and SF get.

Do you have a favorite meal from your childhood and do you cook it today?
My mother makes the best meatloaf. It is usually best the next day as a meatloaf sandwich.

Top 3 Movies of all time?
Elizabethtown, Just Like Heaven, Inception

What was your happiest moment in life?
It’s in the works!
Paul and his lovely girlfriend Lindsay

Where do you do your grocery shopping?
Mostly Giant Eagle in Rocky River with some Heinen’s and West Side Market thrown in.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure when it comes to food?
Cheese, hands down. Bacon is a close second.

Can you tell me about what you are most proud of?
I have been publishing a lot of online articles on various websites in the last few months.

Do you have Culinary Resolutions that you would like to accomplish this year?
I would love to get my recipes organized instead of the chaotic state they are in now.

One word that best describes you is: Focused


Bacon and Granny Smith Apple Bread Pudding
1 qt milk
1 qt cream
1 pound brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 qt chopped bread

diced maple bacon (about half to 3/4 cup)
pealed granny smith apples, diced small (about 2 cups)

-mix wet, add bread, soak overnight
-add apple (about 1/4 c) and bacon (about 1 tbs) to bottom of restaurant sized soup CUP or other similar sized container
-cover with soaked bread pudding mixture and bake at 325 for around 35 min.
-finish with drizzle of heavy cream at service

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails