Monday, June 28, 2010

Angel Hair with Cherry Tomatoes, Bacon and Green Onions

One of my most favorite things about summer time is the wonderful bounty I get to reap the benefits of from my parents amazing vegetable garden.  There really isn't much better then vegetable's that come straight out of the dirt and go directly into your kitchen.  This evening at dinner I found myself the proud owner of big, beautiful green onions.


Oh how I love green onions!  I can eat them any way... raw dipped in salt, scrambled in eggs, sliced into large sections and sauteed with stir fries,  grilled, I could go on and on.  So, when I say proud owner- I mean it!


As much as I love onions, I HATE canned tomatoes- that is unless they are canned by my mom or they are high quality San Marzano's.  But my dad told me about this product he stumbled across at Marc's.  They are Italian cherry tomatoes canned in their own sauce by the company Rienzi.  Both him and my mom have raved about how good they were, so the last time I was at Marc's I snagged some up.  They are also available in Picante style, so be watchful- they will be much spicier!  Delicious, but a bit of a different taste.


So tonight I was thinking pasta.  A simple homemade sauce made from these beautiful green onions, I'd give the tomatoes a whirl, a little garlic, herbs from my garden and some bacon for good measure. The outcome was wonderful!  The tomatoes tasted very fresh and are very plump and juicy- not at all what you would expect from these canned little guys.  I will most certainly be buying them again.  A definite new pantry staple.  Yum! Thanks Mom and Dad for the recommendation!


Capellini with Cherry Tomatoes, Bacon and Green Onions
Half a box Capellini Pasta (Angel Hair), cooked al dente (7-8 minutes)
4 strips Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, cooked and set to drain on paper towels, chopped
2-4 green onions (depending on size), both green and white parts chopped
half yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets 
2 garlic cloves, minced
a nice bunch fresh herbs; Basil, Italian Parsley, and Oregano, Chiffonade (cut into long thin strips)
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
freshly grated parmesan cheese

Saute the yellow onion in the olive oil until translucent.  Add the green onion and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, but still colorful.  Carefully pour in the tomatoes, with the sauce and add the broccoli.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the fresh herbs, reserving some basil for garnish.  Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes.  Add bacon, toss with pasta and top each serving with the reserved basil and fresh  parmesan cheese.  Serve immediately.  


1 comment:

  1. Amie! I just made something like this with shrimp scampi on top of the angel hair pasta. I had more of a garlic sause though. This does look delish! Will have to try it!
    Tera Pepper

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails