Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad with Fresh Dill

We have so many cucumbers coming from the garden it is time to start getting creative!  I have my stand by, Creamy Cucumber Salad that I love.  But I wanted to try out something a little different.  While browsing Epicurious I stumbled upon a cucumber salad from Bon Appétit that doesn't use sour cream.  It looked yummy and took a nice twist on the recipe I am used to.  I made a few alterations to accommodate what I had in my pantry and loved the outcome!  It is crisp, a little sweet, a little sour and a perfect summer side dish.


Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad with Fresh Dill
2 English cucumbers or 4 garden cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp coarse ground kosher salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
fresh chives, chopped

Cut ends of cucumbers, but do not peel. Since I was using quite large garden cucumbers I decided to deseed them to avoid too much moisture.  This step isn't necessary, but a helpful hint.  Slice into thin slices.  I love using my mandolin for this type of thing, but you can also thinly slice the cucumbers by hand.

Put cucumbers in a colander placed in the sink and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon, coarsely ground kosher salt. Stir so all the cucumbers have salt on them. Let cucumbers sit and release water for at least 15 minutes but up to an hour.  The longer they sit the more moisture will be released.

While cucumbers are draining, combine apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, fresh ground black pepper, chopped dill and chives.

Drain cucumbers, pressing to remove the last bit of moisture.  Pat dry.  (Most of the salt should have been washed off by the water that was released.)  Pour dressing over cucumbers and stir to combine. Refrigerate cucumbers with dressing for at least 15 minutes, Serve cold.


**Side note**
I had these today, two days after making them and they totally took on a pickle-like flavor.  They would be so prefect like this topped onto a cheeseburger or any sandwich for that matter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails