Saturday, February 5, 2011

Honey-Blueberry Muffins



Honey- Blueberry Muffins
makes 12-14 muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup blueberries

Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease or line with paper muffin cups 1 muffin pan.

In a large bowl, blend together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, honey, and butter until smooth.  Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are just moistened.  Stir in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one about 3/4 full.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5-7 minutes.  Serve warm, or invert onto the rack and cool completely before storing in an airtight container.


I did this recipe slightly different then how it called for.  Today I was a little scattered.  Jackson wanted to be my helper, which I love.  But I tend to need to read directions more then once when I bake with him because it is easy to get distracted.  Scott was also working from home hanging out in the kitchen and I wasn't in my usual groove, if you know what I mean.  I started mixing everything before I realized I didn't have two full cups of all-purpose flour.  I didn't really want whole wheat today, so I thought I would try out my cake flour for the other cup. I also added one full cup of blueberries instead of the 1/2 a cup and sprinkled the top with raw sugar for a little crunch.  I popped them in the oven and while I was waiting for them to bake I decided to have a cup of tea. Well what on earth did I find in my microwave when I opened it to heat my water- the melted butter!!  Oh no!   I didn't have any fat or applesauce to balance things out so I had no idea what on earth was going to happen to these things!  They could turn out hard as a rock or just awful tasting.  Or just maybe they would be okay.... so of course I peeked at them, and they were rising beautifully- nice high domes. And when I gently poked them, they gave just like a muffin should.  Well since I had the melted butter I didn't want it all to go to waste, so I brushed the tops of each muffin and put them back in the oven to finish baking.  Hmmm... we shall see at taste test time.

Well guess what?!  They are delicious!  Maybe it was the cake flour?  I have no idea.  But they were super moist and spongy.  The extra blueberries made them awesome- a blueberry in almost each bite.  And the raw sugar gave a perfect little crunch.  So without knowing it, I just saved us a whole mess of fat and calories.  Don't you love when mistakes turn out to not be mistakes after all?  So here is the recipe I accidently came up with.  I will totally make them like this again in the future.  I may even try using all cake flour next time....

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1 cup blueberries
raw sugar, sprinkle on before going in the oven
a bit of melted butter for brushing on the tops, halfway through baking time

proceed with the original directions.

9 comments:

  1. Those muffins look fantastic! I'm loving the look of those tops with the crunchy sugar, great idea. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the invite- and WOW what awesome treats you have on there already! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look amazing. the mingling of the honey & blueberries sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I made these muffins this morning... used half freshly-ground wheat flour & half all-purpose white flour. I made some with fresh blueberries and some with fresh blackberries. They were outstanding!

    I used your recipe because I wanted items with no sugar, so thanks for the honey recipes!

    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. mine did not rise and were dense. could it be because I used whole wheat flour??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mixing the dry ingredients right now so I can make these for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made the first recipe you have for these muffins and they turned out great. I put a lot more blueberries in because I love blueberries and I love that they aren't too sweet either. Great recipe. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I've just tried these but I found them to be too salty. And did I miss it or is there no sugar apart from some on top? I also couldn't taste any honey. No offence to you at all I just thought I'd pass on some feedback

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails